segunda-feira, 17 de agosto de 2009

Ainda com os pensamentos no oriente

"It´s because of the river and the mountains" she said. "All places with mountains and water have beautiful women".
And In Chengdu I had met a Fuling native who told me the same thing. "But sometimes the people there have bad tempers", she warned. "That's because it's hot, and because they have mountains there". I often heard remarks like this, and they suggested that the Chinese saw their landscapes differently than outsiders did. I looked at the terraced hills and noticed how the people had changed the earth, taming it into dizzying staircases of rice paddies; but the Chinese looked at the people and saw how they had been shaped by the land. During my early days at the college I sometimes thought about this, especially since nearly all of my students had grown up close to the earth, and I wondered how the rugged Sichuan landscape had affected them. And at the same time I wondered what it would do to me in two years.
in River Town
Peter Hessler

Sem comentários: